My beloved Ernst,
So you’re still the old skeptic? There are things even death can’t change.
I’ve met some people who think these letters are kind of creepy. So I thought I’d ask Tilia about her motivations with this blog. The funny thing is she really believes she has made us up. Can you imagine that? But apart from that delusion which she refused to discuss further, she told me that this obsession most fundamentalist Christians have with Hell is extremely ridiculous. She grew up among Christians and only those with rather severe mental disorders were afraid of eternal damnation. She feels sorry for everybody who is so scared about being mortal that he has to cling to a vague promise given 2000 years ago. But inventing scary stories about a torture place where everybody ends who doesn’t share their beliefs is not only pathetic but also deranged.
It’s understandable in a way. Meeting people who don’t share your rather unsubstantiated beliefs is frightening if all your life depends on being right about your own immortality. It’s easier if you can make them share your fears and some people need quite drastic descriptions of the horrors of the afterlife to be impressed.
“I’m afraid of dying and you should be, too!” is a weak argument. It makes you look like the coward you are. It’s so much better to tell stories about eternal damnation and torture(especially to little children, they are easiest to impress and less likely to see the flaws in your story). Now you can look like a hero when you tell your trembling audience about the escape you’ve found, even if this escape was promised to his contemporaries by a simple hillbilly end time preacher who lived 2000 years ago. As long as you can point to an even older myths collection that includes so many inconsistent claims, that you can find a quote for everything, all is fine.
But things have become more difficult lately. I mean, even in our time, the educated people read other books than just these pathetic Bronze Age poems. We slowly learned to accept our own mortality (yeah, we were wrong, apparently, but that’s not the point…), we defeated the fear and focused on the life we had. How much more difficult must it be today when everybody has access to so many different thoughts. Nobody with a little brain has the right to see the world in black and white anymore. Pascal’s wager is useless. There are so many different beliefs which could theoretically be right, that our only chance is that there is no afterlife. Otherwise we’ll most likely be wrong and dedicate our life to the wrong deity or just the wrong interpretation.
I completely agree with Tilia, when she says that obsession with Hell is a sign of the sick and simple minded. We others can focus on living a good life, because we want to and not because we’re afraid of eternal damnation.
I hope you enjoy your present location and keep away from the frightening myths.
In eternal love
Always yours,
Anna
Saturday, April 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Tell him to say Hi to Loki for me, he was one of my favorites :) Him and Luna, I always like looking at the moon. I find it pleasing to know that all the mythos I loved as a child, still has a place in existence, even if I get confused as to which Gods came from what myths.
ReplyDeleteWhen it comes to death, the only thing I worry about is the fact I have to decide what kind of universe I want after my long rest on the great plains of sweet clover. I just can’t decide and I’m not sure if I’m allowed to have an ever changing type of universe.
Part of me is thinking a universe made of cotton candy would be good; the other makes me want unicorns and dragons. I just can’t decide.
Ooohh, unicorns...
ReplyDeleteCan you send me one?
Sorry :( The Great Bunny has a rule about letting separate universes co-mingle. Something about undoing all existence or something sciency like that ;)
ReplyDeleteNow that's what I call thinly veiled ;)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with Tilia, when she says that obsession with Hell is a sign of the sick and simple minded. We others can focus on living a good life, because we want to and not because we’re afraid of eternal damnation.
ReplyDeletePlease ask for me what a sick and simple minded person who by accident stopped believing in hell can do to get on with her life?
Here is the deal. When a hell believer, I used the fantasy of God and hell to forget that my life was miserable. Now, that I am no longer afraid of hell, I have to face the shit around me, and that scares me more than hell.
Sigh!
Hello Lorena :)
ReplyDeleteI would suggest trying to see the world from a perspective that Love in all or any of it's amazing forms, is what is really important in life. If you love, then you can find that the desire to understand why things are the way they are is much more fufulling then being told why they 'should' be the way they are :)
The Great Bunny also suggests chocolate :) if you have to face the shit around you, you should then be able to face it with yummy chocolate to eat :)
Hi Lorena,
ReplyDeleteI know it can be difficult to live without a comforting fairy tale that tells us what to do and what to think (do the fundies really believe we chose atheism because it's easier?)
We have to find the things that comfort us for ourselves. But they are there, and using chocolate or other stuff to help us finding them is no cheating.
Thank you kindly, ladies.
ReplyDeleteSince I am lactose intolerant, chocolate is out of the question, so I think I'll just continue to blog compulsively ;-)
Well there is always dark chocolate, does it still have milk products in it? The Bunny says anything that is sweet can be a substitute, that and music, music is always good... happy music if you are sad though, sad music might increase sadness.
ReplyDeleteThe Bunny says he is here for you, if you need him :) He's not fancy like the other deities but he is cute, and fuzzy and has a wiggling nose...